Welcome to HK Account Q&A. (DISCLAIMER: All information provided on this website is for self-reference only. We are not responsible for any decisions made, financial or otherwise, based on information or links provided by us. We do not guarantee the accuracy of the information. Readers are reminded that you use such information and materials entirely at your own risk. Web editor gives no warranty and accepts no responsibility or liability for the accuracy or the completeness of the information and materials contained in this website. Under no circumstances will this web's editor be held responsible or liable in any way for any claims, damages, losses, expenses, costs or liabilities whatsoever resulting or arising directly or indirectly from readers' reliance on the information and materials on this website.)
0 votes

If deregistered due to mistake of the Registrar, the Registrar may restore a company to the Companies Register by publishing a notice in the Gazette declaring the restoration.

A person who was a director or member of the company may apply to the Registrar for the restoration of the company to the Companies Register and the application must be made within 20 years after the date of the dissolution.

The application must be accompanied by a statement stating that:

(i)  the applicant was a director or member of the company

(ii)  the company was at the time its name was struck off the Companies Register in the operation or carrying on business

(iii)  if any immovable property situate in Hong Kong previously vested in or held on trust for the company has been vested in the Government, the applicant has obtained, at the applicant's own costs, the Government's confirmation that it has no objection to the restoration

(iv) the applicant has delivered to the Registrar the documents relating to the company that are necessary to bring up to date the records kept by the Registrar

If the Registrar grants the application, the company is restored to the Companies Register on the date on which notification is given and the Registrar must register the notification and publish in the Gazette a notice of the restoration.

An application to Court to restore a company can be made by a person who was a director/member/creditor or an aggrieved person of the company which has been struck off under the predecessor ordinance or by a person who was a director/member/creditor or by an any other person who appears to have an interest in the matter of the company which has been struck off under the new Companies Ordinance.

Restoration by order of Court can be made if an application has been made to the Registrar and has been refused.

The Court may order the Registrar to restore the company to the Companies Register if application for restoration is made within 20 years and the Court is satisfied that it is just to do so.

If the Court grants an application for restoration made under s765, the applicant must deliver to the Registrar for registration an office copy of the Court s order, and the restoration takes effect on the registration. After a company is restored to the Companies Register, the Registrar must publish a notice of restoration in the Gazette.

A company restored to the Companies Register under s767 is to be regarded as having continued in existence as if it had not been dissolved. 

For restoration of de-registered company, please seek solicitors' help.

asked by (10.4k points)

4 Answers

0 votes

How to de-register a Hong Kong company:

Can also check CR FAQ


Leaflet from CR


Application procedure for IRD tax clearance:



For restoration of de-registered company, please seek solicitors' help.

Question: a company has some years' annual return didn't submitted to CR and subject to government penalty, is it possible to submit deregistration form without make up these missing Annual Return?

Answer: If the client insist to try can have a try. It's subject to CR officer's judgement. Sometimes the deregistration will succeed, be still liable to prosecution. And have caution to following Q&A of CR's website:

Q3. Do I need to file all outstanding Annual Returns before delivering the application for deregistration?

Answer: Yes. A company is required to file Annual Returns and observe its obligations under the Companies Ordinance until it has been dissolved. Failure to do so will make the company liable to prosecution.

Source: https://www.cr.gov.hk/en/faq/faq08.htm#02

answered by (10.4k points)
0 votes

For financial statements for cessation of business, need to clear all assets of the company, including investment, amounts due from current accounts, trade payable, etc.

Little cash on bank accounts acceptable.

Firm's internal procedure should put: 

Clearing all assets of the Company 

in front of:

Submission of application for IRD's letter for no objection of de-registration 

answered by (10.4k points)
0 votes

Company Ordinance sections covering post-deregistration:

Section 752 Dissolved company’s property vested in Government

Section 753 Disclaimer of dissolved company’s property (by Government)

Section 756 Liabilities of directors etc. of dissolved company continue

Section 757 Registrar may act as dissolved company’s or liquidator’s representative

answered by (10.4k points)
0 votes

CR letter sample:

answered by (10.4k points)